Thursday, April 29, 2010

PAT Platoon!

I'm station here in Kingston on something called PAT platoon, all that means is that I've got a squadron that I am apart of where all members are awaiting training.  Overall, it's a pretty fun place to be with lots of time off and a great deal of variety in tasks you may be doing from day to day.  I've never had to do anything like sweep the parade square, our taskings can be anything from driving folks around to helping instruct highly sensitive courses.

At any rate, now that you know where I am let me just say that it's been a interesting week here on PAT.  I'm actually on a short duration 2 week course called LSVW training (Light Skin Vehicle Wheeled).  I'm learning how to drive a truck, more or less.  It's a nice way to pass the time to be sure, but it's a busy time of year here.

For example, we just found out yesterday that we need to move out of our current barracks and into a different one across the base.  We got a solid 12 hours notice, more than enough time!  It turns out that there is a rather large group of reservists coming who need the space we are in.  Since they are here to do immediate training and we are still awaiting training... we have to move.

The move is simple enough, however it caught me while on a course and doing countless paperwork to pick up my new car, a lot of which involved trips into town.  Thankfully some new friends have been playing taxi to same me money on actual taxis.  All in all, it went pretty smoothly but there was a lot of cranky folks about to be sure.  Also my new room smells like feet.

I tried to weasel my way into staying in my current room, when asked when my main training course starts I said 'It starts on the 2nd' and the guy responded with, 'Oh, allright then you don't have to move.  Just stay in your room.'  I was pretty excited, until he looked at his paperwork and then looked back up to me with what could only be called an accusatory stare.

'What month?' he asked.

Turns out I'm moving anyway ;x

No comments:

Post a Comment